5 Tips for Getting Through NaNoWriMo


NaNo oh NaNo, every writer's yearly bane. That one month of the year in which we disappear into our fictional worlds, and (hopefully) emerge thirty days later with fifty-thousand words.

I've done NaNo four times in a row, and this year will be my fifth. I've won twice, and lost twice and have committed myself to winning again this year. I went back and analysed what went right and what went wrong, and thought I'd share my findings with you:

Get a Headstart

Rule of thumb: write more, not less. Especially during those first few days when you've been hyping yourself up and just can't wait to get started. Try your best to get a few thousand words ahead because trust me, you'll need it. When the words start to drag, or something comes up and you end up missing a day or two, you'll be glad you have a bit of leeway.

Don't be Distracted by the Shiny

You know it's going to happen. You're on day 3, you've hit a snag in your WIP and suddenly... doesn't the grass look much greener in that other idea that's been floating around in your head. The other idea? That's the Shiny.

This happened to me one NaNo, I switched to the Shiny New Idea, realised I didn't have enough to go on, and ended up floundering for a good three weeks. End wordcount? Some 7,000 words.

If you get a Shiny New Idea, don't touch it. Note it down so you don't forget, then on you go

Have a Plan

...but be just flexible enough. Plotter or pantser, make sure you have at least an idea of what you'll be doing in November and stick to it. Make a writing schedule, figure out how you're going to get to 1,667 words a day. Carve out the time in your busy (or not-so-busy) month. If it's really not working, then do what you need to do but remember, don't get distracted by the Shiny and allow yourself some time to get into the flow of a new WIP.

Find Your People

I love my writing buddies. I love the sense of community that November brings. Embrace the fact that there will be hundreds, if not thousands of writers in the same boat as you. Find people to bounce ideas off, to exchange encouraging messages, and mostly just yell!! about the struggle that is NaNoWriMo.

Personally, I prefer Twitter but use what makes you comfortable. Tumblr, the official NaNoWriMo website, email chains, whatever! If it works for you, it works!

Hold Yourself Accountable

Find a few accountability partners, and check in with each other every so often to make sure that you're both on track. Tell all your friends that you'll be doing NaNoWriMo and ask them to shame you into writing, if you must. Follow your writing schedule. Set smaller goals, and reward yourself for achieving those.

I made myself a printable calendar to track my own wordcount, because I know I hate the feeling of admitting I'm behind. Not every method works for everyone, so test out a few and see what gets you writing every day!



You Might Also Like

0 comments